KITCHEN MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Class: Exempt Reports To: General Manager and Owner
Job Summary: Directly responsible for all kitchen functions including food inventory, preparation and maintenance of quality standards; sanitation and cleanliness; training of employees in methods of cooking, preparation, plate presentation, portion and cost control and sanitation and cleanliness.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities: NOTE: Nexus Brewery unilaterally may change the requirements of this job description at any time. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant’s recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards.
- Make employment and termination decisions including interviewing, hiring, evaluating and disciplining kitchen personnel as appropriate.
- Provide orientation of company and department rules, policies and procedures and oversee training of new kitchen employees.
- Fill in where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, reports and schedules in an organized and timely manner.
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the restaurant’s preventative maintenance programs.
- Work with restaurant managers to plan and price menu items. Establish portion sizes and prepare standard recipe cards for all new menu items.
- Ensure that all products are ordered according to predetermined product specifications and received in correct unit count and condition and deliveries are performed in accordance with the restaurant’s receiving policies and procedures.
- Control food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from storage areas, product storage procedures, standard recipes and waste control procedures.
- Oversee and ensure that restaurant policies on employee performance appraisals are followed and completed on a timely basis.
- Schedule labor as required by anticipated business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed when and as needed and labor cost objectives are met.
- Be knowledgeable of restaurant policies regarding personnel and administer prompt, fair and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules and procedures.
- Oversee the training of kitchen personnel in safe operation of all kitchen equipment and utensils.
- Responsible for training kitchen personnel in cleanliness and sanitation practices.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods, other equipment and food storage areas.
- Check and maintain proper food holding and refrigeration temperature control points.
- Assist front of house manager with shift management duties and budgets.
- Assist with inventory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications (includes education, skills and experience): The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum high school graduate, or equivalent
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in varied kitchen positions including food preparation, line cook, fry cook and expediter
- Self-Safe certification preferred.
- BA/BS in hotel/restaurant management or culinary arts school preferred. Six or more months of previous supervisory experience preferred in the food service industry
- Management skills including giving direction and delegating responsibilities
- Excellent communication skills (verbally interacts with management, servers, team members and guests)
- Knowledge of workplace safety procedures
- Ability to read and write
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check
- Dependable, multi-task, personal leadership, good communication
- Able to work with a diverse group of people; team player
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities, and use time efficiently to complete work in a timely manner to meet deadlines
Working Conditions and Physical Effort: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Restaurant kitchen environment
- Hazards may include, but are not limited to, cuts from broken glass and metal cans, burns, slipping and tripping
- Work normally performed in a hot, damp environment
- Exposure to heat, cold and some chemical exposure
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear
- This position requires frequent manual dexterity in combination with eye/hand coordination such as keyboarding and handling of equipment
- The employee frequently is required to use hands or finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls
- The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus
- The employee is frequently required to stand and walk (majority of shift)
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- The noise level in the work environment is usually medium
- Position requires working 50-60 hours per week